Monday, October 8, 2012

Of Books and Series

Black Velvet Seductions recently asked me some intriguing questions:

Where does each book in the Black Swamp Mysteries fit in? And what did I hope to accomplish with each one?

For the past ten years I had been writing stand-alone books, which required me to introduce new characters to the readers, reveal the plot and wrap things up nicely at the end. A series, however, is quite a bit different. It permits me to introduce multi-faceted characters whose layers can be revealed over several books. While wrapping up the current book's plot, it also allows me to lay the groundwork for the next book's plot. And it gives the reader the opportunity to feel closer to each main character so that opening the first page of the newest book is like visiting an old friend once more.

Find out how Exit 22, Vicki's Key, Secrets of a Dangerous Woman and the fourth book I am now writing, Dylan's Song, fit into the series-and what you can expect with the future of the Black Swamp Mysteries Series.