Follow by Email

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Thursday Thoughts - Reviews

I recently spoke to an author who is published by one of The Big Guys. She was under pressure to get a minimum of 60 reviews for her latest book within 30 days of its release. Because it was her first book, she was understandably stressed.

In today's market, it isn't enough to be published - after all, with today's technology, it's easy for anyone to publish their own work.

The difference in whether a book will be successful depends largely on visibility. Reviews are one of the ingredients in the mix. The more reviews that appear for an item on amazon, for example, will often affect where it appears in a search and whether it's a recommended read.

Negative reviews can tank a book, especially when there aren't a sufficient number of good reviews to offset the bad. For that reason, I won't review a book I didn't like. I wouldn't want to be a participant in harming an author's career.

Many print reviewers (magazines and newspapers) have told me they also have stopped negative reviews. Their reason: they only have "x" amount of space and why waste it telling their readers what not to buy? They prefer to focus on recommending those books they particularly liked.

What was the last book you reviewed online?

5 comments:

onespoiledcat said...

Nothing is more awkward than being asked to review a book you thought was - well - NOT well done in any way. The last book I reviewed was excellent so I had no problem writing the review - it was by my sister Carol and the book was "Tie Died:A Quilting Cozy"....she's a wonder! Thanks to you for reviewing MY book again too Trish after all these years. LOL

Pam

p.m.terrell said...

It was my pleasure to review your book, The Mystery of David's Bridge, Pam! I loved it and I am eagerly awaiting the sequel. I've also downloaded Carol's book and can't wait to get started reading it!

Bonnie Watson said...

How do you go about getting reviews?

p.m.terrell said...

I've kept track of reviewers over the years who were agreeable to reading my work, and I always contact them. You can also place free requests for reviews through ezines such as Dan Poynter's. A Google search for book reviewers will also show you multiple listings. Best of luck, Bonnie!

Kathryn Treat said...

A Jane Austen Daydream