Follow by Email

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Truth or Fiction

I am often asked how much of my own life goes into my writing.

I have to admit, more and more of it as I continue with Black Swamp Mysteries. Here are a few:

(1) I began keeping angelfish when I was writing Vicki's Key. I made Vicki's front as a CIA operative that of an angelfish breeder. Then my own angels began to breed - every time I wrote about it in Vicki's Key.

(2) One of my rescue dogs, a gorgeous collie named Simone, makes a cameo appearance in the Black Swamp Mysteries series as Sandy's dog (the next door neighbor.)

(3) I wrote in Exit 22 several years ago about a woman walking her Jack Russell and inadvertently getting in the way of a hired assassin - a year later, I would adopt my first Jack Russell, Eddie.

(4) Vicki's and Dylan's favorite place to eat in Lumberton, NC is The Village Station, which happens to be my favorite place here, also.

(5) I love the house that inspired Aunt Laurel's home in the series. And like Vicki, I would probably see ghosts there. Which is why I didn't buy it when it was recently for sale.

(6) The information about the tribal leader in Afghanistan in Vicki's Key standing up to the men who repeatedly robbed them "in the name of Allah" was based on a true incident.

Do you prefer a story that is completely imagination? Or do you like knowing the back stories and true inspirations behind the characters and scenes?


6 comments:

onespoiledcat said...

I love a good read whether it's got basis in fact or has a back story or totally made up. It is nice, however, to recognize places or incidents you're familiar with when you read...you've done a wonderful job with that and always have. Weaving fact with fiction isn't always easy but you make it seem so!

Pam

p.m.terrell said...

Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment, Pam! I love your books and have been anxiously awaiting the sequel to The Mystery of David's Bridge! I wonder how much of that has fact in the horse country around you?

abyrnemostyn said...

I like both. Sometimes the notion of complete fabrication and imagining a place that isn't but could be is a wonderful escape. Other times, I like someone above like to see things that are familiar weave their way into a tale and pull me into the story.

All said, if the tale is compelling it doesn't much matter to me one way or another, I just like the transport to someplace beyond where I sit and read.

Author & Illustrator said...

Growing up, I've been disappointed with family relationships. So when I started writing my trilogy, I wanted a hero who not only represented leadership, but a strong role as a father. There could be other things, but that was the most important part for me.

p.m.terrell said...

Abyrne, thanks so much for leaving a comment! It's great to see you here. I agree about being transported to another place and time. It's one of the ways in which your stories grip me; I always know I am in for a wonderful adventure.
Bonnie, thanks for your comment also. That is very interesting how the hero was "designed" as a strong leader. It sounds like one of those times in which you were able to take something "wanting" and make it into something you needed it to be. Very Freudian!
Thanks for dropping by and leaving comments!

Author & Illustrator said...

I guess the only thing to keep straight between truth and fiction is to not let it take the place of what you orignally desired in the first place.