Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Intolerable

I'm told I am a pretty even-tempered and open-minded individual. And most of the time, it doesn't matter to me what good authors write - suspense, romance, paranormal, erotica, science fiction, fantasy ... I find them all entertaining and some enlightening.

But there are three things I can't handle:

Animal Abuse

Child Abuse

Bondage Against Someone's Will

I've been asked over the years to read and comment on other writers' works. When I am reading a passage, particularly when I am supposed to actually like the character and that character participates in abusing animals or children or someone weaker than themselves and helpless, I'm done. The book goes in the trash. End of story.

I've had authors ask me to recommend them to literary agents and publishers and I used to pass along names in an effort to connect people. But I found recently I could no longer do it. Why? Because one of the publishers whose name I provided to an aspiring writer told me the book had the main character (again, someone we are supposed to like) raping a child.

To say I was horrified is an understatement. There is no excuse for writing something that will put that kind of an image into anyone's mind. I read for entertainment value or education. When an author writes about child abuse, animal abuse or abuse of another living being in an effort to entertain, it is NOT entertaining. It is disgusting.

What are your hot buttons?